Author Topic: Valley VDubs  (Read 8201 times)

Offline LUFTVOLKS

• Administrator
  • BangBusBaby!!
Valley VDubs
« on: September 05, 2010, 03:41:14 PM »

Started in the early 80's, Valley VDubs focused on 67 and earlier VWs. As you can imagine 80's customs were mainly pastel and neon colors, chromie, centerlines and Porsche rims were the norm. Cal Look was in full swing so dechroming was also very popular.

Standards of the day were that the car had to have paint and rims, or be a vintage restoration. I joined in the late 80's and was the first "resto custom" in the club.

A 59 Kabriolett with stock body and interior with a slight lowering job with Porsche alloys.

Specifications:
Nov 58 production
Light Bronze metallic
1600 DP
Baby Dells
S&S header
15x6 polished alloys
911 Euro headlights

The car was my daily driver until I purchased a blazer and a bus then it was traded for a 56 Kabrio which I still own and is still under construction.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 01:21:32 PM by LUFTVOLKS »

Offline LUFTVOLKS

• Administrator
  • BangBusBaby!!
Re: Valley VDubs
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 05:54:04 PM »
Here are some pics I found. One day in the life of a teenager.

Wake up, get some food, go to the park and drink some beer. Take pictures, go back to the club house, drink more beer, take more pics. Ah, the life.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 01:18:55 PM by LUFTVOLKS »

Offline LUFTVOLKS

• Administrator
  • BangBusBaby!!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 05:54:25 PM »

« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 01:19:31 PM by LUFTVOLKS »

Offline theragingbuffalo

• OG Luftvolks
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 12:55:31 PM »
Great pics, Tone!

Offline scratchyratchy

• Nor Cal Luftvolks
  • MARTY!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 02:53:00 AM »
Daaammnn!!!  that's some OG trolls...

Offline LUFTVOLKS

• Administrator
  • BangBusBaby!!
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 01:15:56 PM »
Here are a list of names and cars from the first and second generation. There were many more but after 20+ years the old brain is starting to forget!

Original members from the first generation were:

Shark burgundy 63 rag and sky blue/white 59 23 window
Rabbit orange 63 rag
Garf yellow 62 vert
Fly turkis/white 67 21 window
Huele 53 oval
Guy 56 vert
Sergio 63 sedan

Second generation:

Art yellow 55 oval rag
Saul purple 65 rag with fiberglass front end
Rigo/Saul (brothers) grey with purple pearl 60 euro rag
Frank red 63 sedan
Dave signal green 56 rag
Tony light bronze poly 59 vert
Marty chop top oval, mint green 58 vert
Huero metallic green 66
Mike hot pink 60 rhd rag
Earl red primer 60 sedan
Jesse white 63 sedan and white 59 euro
Mondo blue 72 project
Renee green with gold pearl 67
Adam dark metallic blue 60
Sergio Mustard yellow 60 rag
Julio sky blue 64 with 65 doors
Jose mint green 56 oval

From left to right

Rigo, Saul, Renee, Tony, Mike, Art and Marty holding the Valley VDub oval window!

Offline socalbomber

• OG Luftvolks
  • I just ate bath salts, your face looks tasty!
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 12:09:51 AM »
I dig the VATO tires on the purple bug, and that poor poor splitty sitting in the yard! Musta been nice when everything wasnt super expensive! Looks like good times!
Going on safaris in your bushes and leaving donuts in your lawn with my zombie thrashing splitty!!!

Offline LUFTVOLKS

• Administrator
  • BangBusBaby!!
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 12:22:36 PM »
The cut up split is a 63 23 window that came with factory safaris and walk thru! It was only $250 complete and running! I still have the sun roof hole and mechanism for it after all these years. One of the older guys bought it for the safaris and rear seats for his 59 23 and let us have the rest. It was going to be a roadster party bus with limo type seats but since there was no paperwork for it and it was rusty as hell it got cut up and went to the junk yard. Today that would be easily put back together with Gerson panels and the like.

Offline socalbomber

• OG Luftvolks
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 03:16:36 PM »
So sad
Going on safaris in your bushes and leaving donuts in your lawn with my zombie thrashing splitty!!!

Offline socalbomber

• OG Luftvolks
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 11:41:15 PM »
Alrighty Tone! Heres the low down! I know I have all sorts of crazy ideas for the bus, but DEEP down, I want to build the bus as if it was rolling around with you and your crew back in the 80's! I love the look! SOOOOOOoooooo, if you did what you had done to your bugs on a bus, what would have been done. I want to know all sorts of details! Wheel info has already been given, paint was already given, but what about engine, interior, suspension, etc!? I've been trying to look it up on the samba, but the only dude that really talks about it is CRG (Carlos). I know he is on this forum, but has only posted one thing and that was about bad temper 2. I can't find much info on busses from that era. I figure, try to find out what I can and then ask someone who was doing it back then, which is you! Most of the scene was bugs, ghia's and type 3's. I think the bus would look AWESOME if it was done right and thats why I'm asking you! You were around and you've posted pictures to prove it! I think this will be an awesome project!

Offline LUFTVOLKS

• Administrator
  • BangBusBaby!!
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 02:36:43 AM »
Way back when there were 3 buses in the club. All were from the first generation guys who had more cash and experience. By the time I got my bus we all pretty much went our separate ways.

Fly had a 67 21 window, baby blue and white with alloys iirc. Cant really remember what engine but was lowered a few clicks in the back and still ran rgb, with select a drop front end. No lowered spindles or steering box raises back then!

Shark had a sweet 59 23 window powder blue with white roof and ran alloys, phone dials and cookie cutters all rims were polished of course. He ran a DP 1776 with pict 34 and a small header. Lowered one click in the rear with rgb and pulled leafs in the front.

Rabbit had a 67 21 window, red with white roof stock rims and sometimes centerlines. Lowered one click with rgb and pulled leaved in front too. I think it had an 1835 but cant really remember.

All of the buses had limo tint on all the windows and all velour interior. Once the paint was done they would drive to TJ and get the seats, door panels and headliners done for $300 a bus!

They all rode a bit rough but if you wanted a lowered bus that was the price you had to pay. They werent "slammed" just lowered on 195/50s or 135s.

The plan I had for my bus was again a resto mod type deal. Repaint stock colors, lower one click in the rear and select a drop front. I had 16x6 alloys to fill the wells better with the mild lowering job on 195/55 fronts and 195/60s in the back. I was also going to put in the sunroof/skylight clip I sold last year but am SOOOO glad I didnt!

The engine I was building for it was a 2109 (76x94) with cast CW crank, rimco rods and a special web cam (ricky has that cam now). Brazil 041 heads, S&S 1 1/2 merged header with turbo tuck, Weber 44 IDFs. The shop floor build 1915 I finished a few months back is that engine but with a DMS 69mm crank and Engle 100 cam instead.

If I was to build a "retro" engine for a bus I would go with an 1835 but with modern parts.

Dual relief case opened to 90/92 8mm studs
Forged 69mm CW crank
Stock race prepped rods with new bolts
92mm pistons with thick wall cylinders with the cylinder bottoms cut down to fit the 90/92 spigots
CB los bandito or panchito heads if you can afford them
Engle 110 if using bandito or 120 if using panchito
8:1 with 110 or 9:1 with 120
Full weight 8 dowel german  flywheel
Kadrons with 30 vent and upgraded linkage for the old school look and simplicity or
Weber/HPMX 40s for better performance especially if going with the panchito/120
A regular 1 3/8 header will do but a 1 1/2 would be better, merged would be best but you will have trouble mounting a stock rear bumper. Dual quiet packs would TOTALLY be old school but it would run better with a single turbo tuck type muffler.

You can check some of the pics in this thread as this was the style of the times but there are not too many buses in there.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=396415

Offline socalbomber

• OG Luftvolks
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 04:39:00 AM »
Saweet! I'm really excited to do this! THANK YOU FOR THE INFO TONE!