Author Topic: My $250 Vert  (Read 3007 times)

Offline LUFTVOLKS

• Administrator
  • BangBusBaby!!
My $250 Vert
« on: January 19, 2011, 02:33:16 PM »
Just found these pics and thought I would add it to the list.

Bought this vert from Ricky for $250 as a body and top. It was his dads old bug and was slowly parting it out. I slapped a trans and front end on it to get it home.

Here is the day I got it to the shop where I worked at at the time (United Auto in North Hollywood). I slapped some old fenders and a hood I had from a euro 60 I parted.

Finally got it home, on some $40 chromies

Getting closer on some 5.5x14 inch Fuchs on 195/45s and 195/65s, and the now famous Luftvolks paint job in a box (bondo and primer)

Got the engine in, a 74mm stroked mileage engine with header and ICTs

The verts first night out!! Too low with the rubberbands and fuchs though. Looks nice rides like crap.

The last day I owned it before selling it back to Ricky. Just got back from driving to Sacramento to visit my then fiance. Got 29mpg up and back but froze my balls off coming over the grapevine!!

Specs:

1970 Karmann Kabriolet
1699cc 74x85.5 engine
Dual ICT carbs
1 3/8 header
Engle 110 cam
9:1 compression
71 IRS trans with 4.12 r&p
Slightly lowered front on stock 1966 rims and 165s
Full 1966 interior
1958 Vert Deck lid

Ricky has since crashed the car several times, lost the left rear tire while driving thrashing the rear body work. Its now OD green on polished 8 spokes on lowered disk spindles and dropped one notch in the rear. Top is shreadded and leaks all over the place. Running a stock 1600 and a system.

Wish the kids would post more. Are they still alive? All their phones are disconnected.

Offline 64Notch

• OG Luftvolks
Re: My $250 Vert
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 02:06:20 AM »
Yeah the economy is getting hit hard over here in the valley.......

Offline 64Notch

• OG Luftvolks
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 02:08:04 AM »
Dude, By the way any chance did you happen to freeze your balls off in that car...... :D

Offline Wisenhummer

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 12:19:19 AM »
Yeah the economy is getting hit hard over here in the valley.......

WE'RE STILL ALIVE! hey Tony the bug got painted but the paint job was so bad that I'm going to have to spend a couple of months fixing runs and drips in the clear coat.. I had a friend spray it for me but he rushed it and ruined the car.. lol so Im going to pretty much start over.. Note to self.. spray your own car. anyways we can put the top on soon I'm still saving for the padding and new tension cables. So if anyone wants to help sand you're all invited!
Tony, I'll let you know when the car is ready for the top. I don't want to put pictures of the paint job yet because I am not too happy about it. Soon it will be brag worthy. jk. I'm taking it paycheck by paycheck.

Offline LUFTVOLKS

• Administrator
  • BangBusBaby!!
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 02:52:33 PM »
Yo Ricky how is the vert coming? My phone is MIA again so cant call you guys.