Author Topic: The Captain  (Read 19898 times)

Offline LUFTVOLKS

• Administrator
  • BangBusBaby!!
The Captain
« on: October 31, 2011, 02:14:35 PM »
Socalbombers new ride. Delivered to France through the tourist delivery program then shipped back to the states. Lowered spindles and dropped one notch in the back until he can get the drop kit installed.

Tha box wont last long with that much  clearance!!

Yesterday he called and gave me some bad news. The captains engine just gave up the ghost, any help to get him back on the road would be great.

Offline socalbomber

• OG Luftvolks
  • I just ate bath salts, your face looks tasty!
Re: The Captain
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 06:33:12 PM »
Thanks tony for uploading those! Had a fucking blast talking to ya yesterday! The owner of chirco is going to sell me a "stout 1600" as he said for $600 and my old engine. I trust the dude. we are pals and what not so im going to go that route. and while the engine is out, im going to put in the bug tranny and the straight axle kit i have for it! So stoked!
Going on safaris in your bushes and leaving donuts in your lawn with my zombie thrashing splitty!!!

Offline LUFTVOLKS

• Administrator
  • BangBusBaby!!
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 06:39:12 PM »
No sweat, your ride is not so "stink bug" like you said.

Was the original paint Blue white over sea blue or cummulus white over sea blue?  The Blue, white, blue you have on it now sure looks like the early westy paint jobs!

Offline socalbomber

• OG Luftvolks
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 08:21:39 PM »
Cummulus white over sea blue. The last owner mixed up that blue thats on it and he sprayed it in his back yard! for a long time, i thought that it was originally dove blue because theres OG blue showing in some spots and it is pretty dark, but when i was putting in the popouts, the paint under the window rubber was the OG white, so then i looked up what color sceme was white with a really dark blue and its the white over sea blue! One day, it will have the OG colors again, but that will be awhile!
Going on safaris in your bushes and leaving donuts in your lawn with my zombie thrashing splitty!!!

Offline LUFTVOLKS

• Administrator
  • BangBusBaby!!
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 03:48:14 PM »
Got your message about your new engine. Send me some pics so I can see if its a bus 1500 or later bug 1500.

Offline socalbomber

• OG Luftvolks
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 07:32:44 PM »
Okay! Ill takesome tomorrow!

Offline LUFTVOLKS

• Administrator
  • BangBusBaby!!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 05:49:21 PM »
Figure out what the timing issue was on the new engine??

What colors are you going to paint it?

Offline socalbomber

• OG Luftvolks
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 01:50:10 AM »
Before I owned it:

Right after I got the engine for it, I took it out for a spin with a good bud who has a 67 west and we saw all this smoke coming from the airplane junk yards right behind the base, SO of coarse, I wanted to go see what it was that was burning cause I miss the Great Southern California fires now!

Offline LUFTVOLKS

• Administrator
  • BangBusBaby!!
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 07:12:12 PM »
Yo, hows the new engine?

Offline socalbomber

• OG Luftvolks
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 05:17:29 AM »
Its great! Having some carb issues. it keeps back firing through the intake and it likes to spudder sometimes when im accelerating. I am having some weird shit going on with the rear suspension though. whenever i hit the gas, theres a clunk. I really dont believe its the internals of the tranny because its doing it when i take it out of gear and hit the brakes. I got under it the otherday to tighten down the tranny mounts at the nose cone, the bell housing bolts and the 4 bolts on the swing arm, but everything was tight. So now im going to check the engine mounting bolts to see if its those. But its starting to really scare me because its getting worse. Today I noticed that the clutch pedal has alot of play in it and it was tight a few weeks ago. I really need to get it on a lift or something to get under it better, because its tough getting under it with it slammed! Its just hard trying to work on it right now because Im on 12 hour shifts working from 6 at night to 6 in the morning. Ill figure it out! On a good note, the blue white on the roof is coming out really well!

Offline LUFTVOLKS

• Administrator
  • BangBusBaby!!
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 12:33:51 PM »
Make sure your drums are tight.

As far as the backfire through the carb, make sure there are no intake leaks, the valves are adjusted and the timing is 28* TOTAL at 3000 rpm.

I would change the clutch cable too, it sounds like its stretching. While you are at it put in a new bowden tube as well.

Offline slammed66

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 01:40:16 PM »

Should've pulled forward just a bit more to take that picture. As if the engine were on fire.

Offline socalbomber

• OG Luftvolks
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 11:55:38 PM »
So I was wrong on the Original paint colors. Its blue white over sea blue! From the research Ive been doing about that color combo, its a one year only combo and the majority of busses that had it were deluxes. On the M-code plate, there was a number that I couldn't figure out. On the samba, there was a question mark next to it, and in a book a friend let me borrow, the number didn't exist at all. Soooo, I ended up ordering a birth certificate for it to learn more about it when it was new! Heres some pictures of it!

Once I got that, I sent Everett Barnes an email about that number to let him know what it meant, because him and I had a discussion about it and he told me that he only knew of 2 other busses that had the number and they were both from France as well. So he updated it and also put my bus next to it in the "seen on"!
Today I decided to start pulling more paint off of it and heres what Ive got so far!
Started

Almost finished with this panel

If you're wondering about the slow moving vehicle magnet, heres the story. I went to the phoenix bugorama this past weekend and the bus topped out at 55mph. So the dude that was following me started making fun of me once we got there. We walked around the swap area to look for pop out windows for the old bastard and saw the magnet. I said fuck it, Ill buy it since its true! I did also get pop outs for the bus, spent a total of $30 for 3 pop outs! The frames are pretty toast, but thats fine. The glass in all three were perfect, which was the main reason I bought them! Heres another picture of the magnet!

Have any of you guys messed around with old burlap sacks? I going to upholster all the panels from the fire wall back with them! Saw a really bit chin bus online the other day with this set up and it looked really good actually!
Heres the web site
http://charlie48ida.skynetblogs.be/
The bus is a beat to hell early 15 window still rocking OG paint! Its basically the last "bus" on the first page. There is another bus below it but its a double cab and that thing looks sweet as hell also!
Heres some pictures of some of the ones I got!

Heres another picture of the bus from a few weeks back. Do any of you remember my bud matt? He had the silver 65 bug with red wheels and seats? Well he was out here and we went cruising!

Notice the curb feelers! Fucking awesome!

I lost the back one on the way back from bugorama. Also lost the rear bumper mounting bolts and nuts for the right side of the bumper on the same trip!

Offline socalbomber

• OG Luftvolks
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 10:22:11 PM »
So Ive been kind of busy with this old bastard! Finished pulling out the original paint out the roof! Got sick of sanding it, so I found some crazy ass paint stripper that is like jelly! Once I put it on, I nay had to wait 30 seconds before I could take a razor lade to it. Only waiting for that long took off 5 coats of after market paint. It didn't really hurt the original paint unless i left it on there for a few minutes. OG paint is pretty burly shit! Once that shit was done, I wet sanded the fuck out of it starting off with 1000 grit, then 1500 grit and finally 2000 grit. Once i took a towel to all the residue, and then some clean water to wash the rest of the shit off, the paint looked like a polished marble! I finished that 2 weeks ago and I am still in aww over how well the paint came out!
Heres some pictures!

Then I bought some safari windows, cause they are just fucking awesome and because here in arizona, it gets pretty hot, so to me they are kind of important to have!

The window frames looked really good

Installed without the tabs welded in

Then the following day went to get the tabs welded in and this was at the shop!

From what the dudes at chirco were telling me, its the real deal!

Then the girl friend talked me into getting curtain material which was tough because it had to work with the burlap sacks that I have, but luckily we found something!

Then I bought a koch's restored steering wheel from my friend with the 67 westy! He said he was never going to use it, and since it was from koch's I knew it was good quality! I put it in over this last weekend and it is SOOOO nice compared to my original one! I love it, plus it has some sentimental value due to where its from!
Old steering wheel

New steering wheel!

I also fixed my brake lights, because those didn't work, fixed my license plate light, got rid of the new stereo that the last owner had put in and wired in the early bay window sapphire radio that was in the dash when I bought it! That only gets AM but I don't mind! Also moved the ignition from the dash where the P.O. had mounted it back into the pod that holds the speedo! Next Im going to repaint the grey with something a little closer to sea blue. Have to find something that is close. Will need Tonys help with that one! Then shooting to buy the back safari window and install the last 2 pop out windows that I bought up in Pheonix at Bugorama!

Offline socalbomber

• OG Luftvolks
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 10:30:09 PM »