Author Topic: The Captain  (Read 20427 times)

Offline socalbomber

• OG Luftvolks
  • I just ate bath salts, your face looks tasty!
Re: The Captain
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2012, 04:03:04 PM »
Hell ya I am! I loved it lowered, but it was just to much of a hassle! Being lifted, I can go pretty much where I want and not really worry! That's a bummer you aren't gonba make it. This year they ate doing the hot air balloon show the same weekend. So ya gonna be busses and balloons on the water!
Going on safaris in your bushes and leaving donuts in your lawn with my zombie thrashing splitty!!!

Offline socalbomber

• OG Luftvolks
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2013, 02:59:28 AM »
Heres a few pictures from this past weekend. I need to learn ow to do videos and figure out why the rest of the pictures never went to my email

We tried going up this huge hill and we both got stuck in the same spot you see the westy is stuck in! Good times!

« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 03:08:55 AM by socalbomber »
Going on safaris in your bushes and leaving donuts in your lawn with my zombie thrashing splitty!!!

Offline LUFTVOLKS

• Administrator
  • BangBusBaby!!
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2013, 11:47:29 PM »
Looks like FUN!

The bus looks bad ass! BLUE BOMBER!

Offline socalbomber

• OG Luftvolks
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2013, 02:39:06 PM »
Thanks dude! It was a blast!!! Unfortunately, it's now parked. For a few months. The engine that I got a full rebuild on, gave out on the way back to Tucson. It's under warranty, so I got to pull it and tear it Down to a long block again. I'm a little pissed with chirco about it. I've had the engine less than 3 months and have no more than 1500 miles on it. Im going to build an engine with my bud so I won't have to worry about shitty work. He wants it to be an 82 stroked, dual carbed, single port 1500!

Offline LUFTVOLKS

• Administrator
  • BangBusBaby!!
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2013, 11:49:26 PM »
Sorry to hear that. an 82 stroke with stock pistons is already an 1885!  Let me know if you need any parts and I will see what kind of deal Jeff can come up with.

Offline socalbomber

• OG Luftvolks
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2013, 12:38:27 PM »
I will most certainly let you know!!! Thank you!

Offline LUFTVOLKS

• Administrator
  • BangBusBaby!!
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2013, 01:33:29 PM »
No sweat. I am currently collecting parts for a replacement bus engine as the 1699 is getting tired after 85K miles.  Here is the combo

1800cc

Forged 74mm crank
AA thick wall slip in 88mm pistons
AA stroker I beams with ARP 2000 bolts
Web 218/119 cam w/ CB lightweight lifters
8.5:1 compression
AA 502 40x35 heads
stock weight 8 dowell flywheel
KEP 1700 clutch
Chromoly pushrods
Stock 1:1 rockers on solid shafts
1 1/2 sidewinder
40 Kadrons and dual 36 DRLA dellortos (depending what the dyno says)

Hoping fora cool running, 90hp,  flat torque curve and some decent mileage.

Do you know what exactly blew up on your engine? Rod or main bearing? Head/valve?

Did you ever install the gauges?

Offline slammed66

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2013, 06:14:29 PM »
The MF is is slammed baja status right now. Still is stuck in 4th gear so that's how I drove it to my new place.
Got another tranny just need to swap it.
Still

Holler

Offline LUFTVOLKS

• Administrator
  • BangBusBaby!!
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2013, 06:21:29 PM »
Stuck in 4th gear is due to a broken syncro allowing one of the "chicklets" to pop out and not let the gear selectors to slide back.  Been there. Time for the replacement.

Anyone up for a campout now that the weather is getting better?

Offline slammed66

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2013, 06:25:37 PM »
Camp out sounds awesome but I am tied up for a couple months at least.

Summertime hell yeah.

Offline socalbomber

• OG Luftvolks
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2013, 12:40:21 AM »
Let's have a campout at the salton sea!!! I'm completely up for a campout! I'm currently building an interior for the bus. I bought a 5 sheets of 1/8 in red birch for the side panels and 3 sheets of 1/2 in red birch for cabinets and a 3/4 jump seat for behind the bulk head. I've already bought a z bed for it. Instead of building a closet that goes behind the back most cargo door, I'm going to build a half closet so the rear pop out is still functional and the top can be used as an arm rest. I know stock westys came with Baltic birch, but I wanted a darker, redder tone in the wood, plus I really liked the wood grain in the red birch! Im going to stain the wood a little darker and for all the hardware, door handles for the cabinets, the hinges and what not are all going to be brass. I've already started building the panels and hopefully start building the cabinets this week! As for the engine, I got that back on the 9th of February which was awesome because my birthday was 2 days after that! So it's back on the road again and running good so far! All I can say for the engine is, thank god I invested in the warranty! Let me know when and were you guys want to do a campout! I'll request it off work and take a few weeks off to come out and hang out!!!

Offline socalbomber

• OG Luftvolks
« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2013, 04:27:53 PM »
Sorry i have been MIA for a bit! work has been killing me and life has just been hectic! Getting the interior done! Still need to make the cabinets, jump seat, tables and ceiling, but it's coming! Also have put the correct bumpers and doors on!

Offline LUFTVOLKS

• Administrator
  • BangBusBaby!!
« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2013, 04:01:31 PM »
Empi makes a billet one for around $40 not sure on the quality though

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=51361

If you NEED an og style Richardo in Argentina is the only one I know making repro split/barndoor can

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=893139

Remember you still need to buy the cap and nut so that puts it close to $200 with shipping.

Offline socalbomber

• OG Luftvolks
« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2013, 06:06:42 PM »
Awesome dude! Thank you!!! I'm gonna try the empi one.

Offline socalbomber

• OG Luftvolks
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2014, 10:08:27 PM »
Sorry it's been forever since I've posted. I've been super busy with work. I've been tinkering with the bus here and there! I made curtains for it, installed a rear safari window, put white walls on the stock 14's, cleaned up a bunch of glue gunk left over from the insulation I yanked out awhile back, I'm getting all my pop out window frames sand blasted and then painted blue white so I can finally have a bus with no stationary glass! Hopefully this week I'm going to get back to building the interior for it! I cleaned up the m code plate. I haven't finished degunking the front cab yet, but it's a work in progress! I've also been helping my buddy Chris at his shop with a few busses! Hope all of you are doing really well and hope you guys had great holidays!